An awkward transition, you may say, but it’s cold here in
So I’ve been in
-Don’t ever change lanes. Or if you do, don’t bother using your blinker. No one else uses them, and the great majority of the people here who do use their blinkers do so for the same reason they get neon purple lights underneath their cars, or spinners, or blonde girlfriends: for decoration. Then, as with neon purple lights, spinners and blondes, these Louisvillians tend to forget about them quickly, leaving you to pace someone for eight miles on the highway thinking that this (asterisk ampersand pound dollar percent) is preparing to think about considering the benefits of investing in turning the fuck RIGHT!
-The amount of precipitation this city receives is inversely correlated with the intellect of its drivers. These folks will drive like bats out of hell when its pouring like the end of the world, but if they see one snowflake half a mile away they forget how to brake properly and cause ten-car collisions.
-
-Religious institutions have their hands in just about every charitable organization and educational organization. It’s a bit unsettling to realize that in this city, if you’re going to be philanthropic, you’re going to have to pair with an established institution that preaches something you may not believe in.
-People here are downright damn friendly. I’ve had more genuinely polite conversations at gas stations in
Now, to move from a list of things I’ve learned to a list of things I’ve been doing:
-Painting a mural! The grant was won by last year’s VISTAs and implemented by this year’s. It was supposed to be done over the summer, though everyone fell behind schedule, and that’s probably for the better since this summer was atrociously hot. So for the past gajillion Saturdays anywhere from one to six VISTAs have met at this north-facing wall with anywhere from zero to twelve immigrant and refugee kids and a resident artist from
-Working. The school (I discovered that blogger.com opens all its blogs to search engines, so I won’t ever be listing any specific names of people or organizations) I’m working at has been running pretty smoothly – we’ve implemented an attendance-tracking program that has taken probably 50 hours so far to set up, hooked enough volunteers to make the four days per week that we operate tolerable, secured a second VISTA at last, overcome most of the office politics, won our first grant ($500 – you’ve got to start somewhere!), given up every Saturday post-mural to fundraising, and other small stuff I’m proud of but won’t mention here.
-Writing. November was National Novel Writing Month (nanowrimo.org), which I no longer hold as highly in regard because of their arbitrary definition of a “novel,” but it spurred me to join some local writers to churn out lots of words (in the form of short stories) regardless.
-Applying to grad school. I almost waited too long, and now have to scramble a teeny bit to get everything in for the first deadline coming up. We’ll see what comes of this.
I’ll leave it at this for now. I hope there are still people out there.

No comments:
Post a Comment